Search This Blog

quote

“After all, hope is a form of planning. If our hopes weren’t already real within us, we couldn’t even hope them.”Gloria Steinem


Saturday, November 24, 2018

Moondance November


In the Northern hemisphere
the  moon has several names depending on your tribe: Hunter’s Moon, Frosty Moon,
 Beaver Moon .
 This morning after too much food celebrating  of Thanksgiving yesterday,
 i awoke at O dark thirty to watch the frosty moon about to set .






Early in the morning dawn, the moon of November 23,2018  will  eventually set into the clouds
See that path  the moon light makes upon the water? (the sun does this a well).
 i am curious what word or words  are used to call this  wonderful nature happening.
 JESSE SHEIDLOWER, an editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, reported that the word requested already exists: moonglade. I also found  a synonymous word moon wake. I have attempted to capture this effect in paint. i will keep trying to do it
 with fabric strips sewn together.

So do  you recall the song by Van Morrison called Moon Dance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo3JznMhpWc

It goes ...."it's a marvelous night for a moondance..."
 I believe it was published in 1970 and ya know what? It still stands the test of time!
 brilliant excellent composition and execution why its a classic
and tried by many mastered by very few.

I am thankful for magic of music, that i can remember it even the first time i did 
and what and where and who  was there 
 and how it transports and  also gives rise to memories of younger times for me.
Thanksgiving is so filled with memories,  especially when we smell the fragrances,  prepare or eat the classic foods we are used to that our parents served and that we have adapted
 and tweaked  through the years.....  especially the cranberry sauce! 


be well, sonja


9 comments:

Nancy said...

Lovely photos. Moon glade and moon wake- new terms, and I like them. The full moon is always mesmerizing to me.

LA Paylor said...

just lovely, never knew there was a word for the moon's dance on water. I've always tried to capture the magic of moon beauty.
Now the song Moondance is my near favorite. It evokes all the romance of my 20's and I always sing every word.
Leeanna

sonja said...

Nancy and Leeanna, I am thankful for your reading and comments on my musings and doings throughout the years. Being a moonchild myself, i love the moon glow and the lore and to walk out on a cloudless full moon night and see night shadows. Ain't nature GRAND!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Every time I see a full moon, I sing the words to "Moon dance" in my head! Your photos are beautiful.

sonja said...

Sherrie, i sing it out loud sometimes and if my knees allow, twirl about on the lawn!

Joan said...

Lovely to hear your voice again Sonja! I love moondance, but do you also remember Moon Shadow by Cat Stevens? One of my favorites.

I'm being followed by a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow.
Leaping and hopping on a moonshadow, moonshadow, moonshadow.

sonja said...

Hi Joan, nice to see your words! Of course i remember Cat Stevens,Cecilio and Kapono, Rod Stewart and the donut song, "Every picture tells a story don't it",( think that was on the album called
"A wink is the same as a nod to a blind Horse" I just can't recall what i made for breakfast!! Isn't it wondermous how music is/was such a part of our youth , we sure had some great artists to sing and dance to!!. then there was Seals and Croft "Summer breeze"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsW8rXPcnM0
To all of us who were young in the seventies this song is like a time machine that brings to us so many nice memories and remembrances of those splendid summers in the seventies.
One can never relive those times but one may remember
'

Jan said...

and have you heard this old gem, similar vintage to Van's song, this one sung by Jerry Jeff Walker, not sure if he wrote it : https://youtu.be/yCt-DBvktuI
Moon glade, moon wake...honestly, moon dance works for me but I like learning the new terms.
This Thanksgiving we threw tradition aside and prepared a smoked corned beef so we could eat it with some home made sauerkraut. It was delicious! Maybe it will be our new tradition!

sonja said...

Oh Jan, Being a Moonchild myself i had to refresh my memories. JJW still on the circuit , yes?! He is great! Gosh, we sure had some of the best poets and musicians to inspire us when we were younger! You know when i listen to gems of the decades past, just for the moment...my skin fits better!!!