Search This Blog

quote

“After all, hope is a form of planning. If our hopes weren’t already real within us, we couldn’t even hope them.”Gloria Steinem


Friday, May 31, 2013

zentangle ATC exchange

 
 
 
 My  first two attempts to make Zentangle ATC's
 went by the wayside, into the ditch,
off the road...
I filled the backs of  envelopes with  black lines but nothing surfaced .
my doodles ended up needing to be quilted and after starting out with a piece o plain muslin, the  black thread I used  kept breaking . I switched over to a variegated blue called de Nile by Superior of the king tut line that I got a cone of because I like it so much, then  the quilting /doodling went much smoother. free motion quilting is so like the doodle marks we made in margins of our note books as students in  class or on the phone with a pen or pencil. The this case the fabric is the paper and the needle is the pen only reversed because the thread is stationary and I move the blank fabric beneath the needle. the foot peddle got hot . I quilt barefooted.

 
When the quilting and cutting into sections was complete  I was thirsty for color so I painted the cards colors in  magenta, sky  and golden yellow and colors they make combined . I sprayed water and let the colors run outside the lines
 and the next morning..


 they had  dried and curled up like so many chips in the sunshine!
 that is not a problem with a hot iron on hand. I  fused some of the art paper made from those  painted coffee filters, again, on the backs and placed a weight on finished cards to flatten them for the mail, overnight. 
 
the finished ATC's
all ready to mail out.
 
 
and now
 that age old question
egg or chicken?
 

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Sonja, these are great. I'm curious, though, why did they curl up? Does the paint do that to the muslin? And is this chicken related to Peaches? Kathy

FlutterbugArtGirl said...

Hi Sonja! Your zentangled art is as always, awesome. Good to see your artwork ~ I need to get out more and visit you here!! (((HUGS))) Katie

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Sonja. Delightful ATCs. I think you go beyond zentangle as the machine work seems more free-flowing.
best, nadia

Nancy said...

Your zentangles look great, and you did some problem solving along the way with your iron. Had to chuckle at the hot pedal problem. I sew barefoot, too. Took a look at your prayer flags in a previous post and they are lovely!

sonja said...

Mahalo Kathy, Kate, Nadia and Nancy for your comments.
Cards were too damp from painting in color even with a fused peltex on back of "noodle quilting" so as they dried they curled making me
giggle in the morning. quilting on a Bernina is Zenful especially barefooted!